idil's bookMain MenuIdil's demorandom thingsWhat about pineapples?what's so special about pineapples!?You can use maps!maps maps mapsAnd timelines!Idil Tanriseverba50f203721fda9a4fe3d4eb651465a69f1773fc
What about the history of the national mall?
12017-05-31T16:16:28-07:00Idil Tanriseverba50f203721fda9a4fe3d4eb651465a69f1773fc189353some other thingsgallery2017-05-31T16:18:49-07:00Idil Tanriseverba50f203721fda9a4fe3d4eb651465a69f1773fcThe area now known as the Mall has been a place of human activity for thousands of years. Remnants of 10,000-year old Paleo-Indian tools and weapons were discovered on the White House grounds in the 1970s. Before the American Revolution, the area was home to Native American tribes and then a growing population of European settlers. After the federal government moved to Washington, the Mall became the home of the President and his household. In the 1800s, it was also home to the first Secretary of the Smithsonian and a working-class neighborhood near the Capitol.
This page has paths:
12017-05-31T18:34:10-07:00Idil Tanriseverba50f203721fda9a4fe3d4eb651465a69f1773fcYou can use maps!Idil Tanrisever5maps maps mapsgoogle_maps2017-05-31T18:45:45-07:00Idil Tanriseverba50f203721fda9a4fe3d4eb651465a69f1773fc
This page references:
12017-05-31T15:40:32-07:00Center Market1Once the largest commercial market in Washington, Center Market opened in 1801. The original buildings were replaced in 1872 by a building designed by Adolph Cluss. The market was close to the Washington City Canal, railroads, and streetcar lines. It was demolished in 1931 and is the current site of the National Archives. Vendors sold all manner of goods inside: produce, meat and fish, and staples. Because of its access to transportation, Center Market was able to sell goods that had been grown or produced far away; fast, dependable railroads and streetcars made it possible to offer fresh foods before they spoiled.plain2017-05-31T15:40:32-07:00mallhistory.orgLibrary of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.2012-08-24T12:33:35+00:001801 (Established)CenterMarket-SI.jpgeveryday lifeghost mallcommerce & tradeAdolf Cluss38.892787842722,-77.0228934288021800-1829
plain2017-05-31T15:40:33-07:00mallhistory.orgLibrary of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.2012-08-24T13:02:25+00:0005/30/1922 (Dedicated)LIncolnMem-LOC.jpgdesign & monumentspolitics & protestHenry Bacon38.889130233424,-77.0500695705411890-1919
12017-05-31T15:40:29-07:00Bulfinch Gatehouses1Architect of the Capitol, Charles Bulfinch, designed the gatehouses and matching gateposts in the 1820s. They originally flanked a grand pedestrian entrance on the west side of the Capitol. They were removed in 1874 and placed in their present locations in 1880. Currently, one gatehouse and three gateposts are in place at the corner of 15th and Constitution Avenue; the other gatehouse is at the corner of 17th and Constitution, and the remaining gateposts are located at the entrance to the National Arboretum in north-eastern Washington.plain2017-05-31T15:40:29-07:00mallhistory.orgLibrary of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.2012-08-15T12:37:15+00:00c. 1827 (Designed)Bulfinch.jpgghost malldesign & monumentsCharles Bulfinch38.89248322345,-77.0339655876161800-1829
12017-05-31T15:40:30-07:00Constitution Gardens1The Constitution Gardens were dedicated in May 1976 as part of the United States Bicentennial and were declared a living legacy to the US Constitution by President Ronald Reagan in September 1986. During World War I, the US government built temporary offices on this site. Those buildings remained until the early 1970s when President Nixon ordered their removal and replacement by a park. On a small island in the middle of the lake lies a memorial to the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence, dedicated in 1984.plain2017-05-31T15:40:30-07:00mallhistory.orgInternal Archive, National Park Service2012-08-16T15:13:52+00:001976 (Dedicated)ConstitutionGardens-NPS.JPGbuilding the mallghost malldesign & monuments38.890849806757,-77.044056057931950-1979
12017-05-31T15:40:30-07:00George Mason Memorial1George Mason (1725-1792), author of Virginia's Declaration of Rights, was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He refused to sign the Constitution because of the absence of a Bill of Rights and a disagreement over the issue of standing armies. The memorial was funded through an effort by the Board of Regents of Gunston Hall, Mason's home in Fairfax, Virginia, which now operates as a museum. The site of the memorial was home to a garden called the Pansy Garden in the 1920s. The memorial was approved in 1990, but groundbreaking did not take place until 2000.plain2017-05-31T15:40:30-07:00mallhistory.orgNational Park Service. View original.2012-08-16T15:42:52+00:004/09/2002 (Dedicated)MasonMem-NPS.jpgdesign & monumentsFaye B. Harwell38.879494357071,-77.0391798019412000-present
12017-05-31T15:40:32-07:00Bartholdi Fountain1Originally created for the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition, sculptor Frederic Bartholdi had hoped to sell the fountain after the exposition concluded. The only offer to purchase it was made by Congress, who bought the work for $6,000. The sculpture was moved from Philadelphia to Washington and placed at the site of the original botanical garden, which stood where the Capitol Reflecting Pool is today. In 1927 the sculpture was moved to its present home in the newly-established Bartholdi Park.plain2017-05-31T15:40:32-07:00mallhistory.orgLibrary of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. View original.2012-08-21T16:33:58+00:001876 (Finished)bartholdi-fountain-AOC.jpgghost malldesign & monumentsFrederic Auguste Bartholdi38.887025,-77.0129431860-1889