" The typical community art project is able to fulfill its purpose of strengthening a community's sense of self by lessening or suspending critically regarding the form and content of the product and, often promoting " feel-good" positive social values " page. 10
Food is a key to success behind communication and bringing us together to enjoy a meal and great conversation. Its sad but when you mention food it motivates and brings people out to these gatherings.
From the "Color is food" the system itself is also severely imbalanced in its distribution of healthy food options, resulting in inequalities access for many communities. And the results are diet- related illnesses such as diabetes and obesity plaguing these communities at disproportionate rates" Page 25
3. Michael Stratten
Food is Everything, everything involves around it -used for family gatherings and get- together, holidays and religious ceremonies/rituals. Food is the main source behind bringing the community out.
4. Tim Paige
Different cultures come together around food. Food is the key to getting everyone together and bringing everyone together on one accord . Everything involves around food and is a common point between everyone because its needed for survival.
5. William Harris
From the "Color is Food" We have been losing our connection to the land, our food and our culture as each generation leaves the farm and rural towns for jobs in urban areas, and we became dependent on the industrialization of agriculture and corporation of our food system" Page 4
6. Mhonpoj Lee
From the "Color is food" In order for us to be healthier people, its important to know who we are and where we come from and what's unique about our culture and how we lived " page. 130
From "Helguera" Many problems in community projects are due to unrealistic goal in relation to the expected time investment" Page. 19
8. Jocelyn Collins ( Part 1)
From "Helgura" We build because we seek to reach out to others, and they will come initially because they recognize themselves in what we have built" Page 22
From "The color is food" That a lack of sense belonging, or solidarity, is detrimental. And it carries over into today's food movement, where foo cultures are excluded at farmer markets and nutrition campaigns" Page. 79
10. Karyssa ( Part1)
More opportunities for the community to come together and connect, while learning different food traditions and cultures. More community events for fun and social purposes and getting to know one another , while observing and smelling the food in the air makes well for family fun and the opportunity to learn new recipes and traditions.
From the "Color is food" With food comes a long conversation knowing what the family's doing and how they're doing- all of that has an impact on children having responsibility , parents, elders, community, everybody having a responsibility. If you don't communicate then there's a lack of it. Food can be the center of that communication" page. 130
Food is the main subject that brings everyone together and home for the necessary occasions and brings you together and provide good conversation. Food brings the community and the neighborhood out and is the key to fixing solutions. The smell of cookouts and barbeques, lingering in the air, catches noises and grabs attentions, and is a main cause for many family and fun social events throughout the neighborhood and within the community.
This page references:
- William Harris (Truth Maze) interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff IMG 0237
- Meet theatre director, Jamil Jude, at Rondo's greens cook-off.
- Megan Storymobile interview of Jocelyn Collins for Greens Cookoff at CSP (part 1)
- Jessica interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff
- KP interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff
- Michael Stratten interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff
- Jesse interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff IMG 0221
- Tim Paige interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff IMG 0194
- Mhonpaj Lee interviewed at the Urban Farm and Garden Alliance 2016 Greens Cookoff
- Karyssa Jackson 1/2 interviewed by Megan Phinney as part of the Art of Food in Frogtown and Rondo Greens Cookoff, November 26, 2016
- Meet nutrition educator Christine at Rondo's greens cook-off.