Cover: Conducting Surface Web-Based Research with Maltego Carbon(TM)
This e-book provides an overview of how to use Maltego Carbon(TM) as an academic research tool for extracting information from the Surface Web. (The current version is now Maltego Chlorine 3.6.0.)
This resource was created to support the work of researchers at Kansas State University; however, any who are interested are welcome to use the resource. This work is an unofficial one. The author has no relationship with Paterva, the makers of Maltego Chlorine (formerly Maltego Radium, released in September 2012; Maltego Tungsten, released in August 2013; Carbon, released in April 2014, and Chlorine, released in March 2015).
(Note: Some of the initial visuals were captured in Maltego Tungsten before the update to Maltego Carbon. Maltego Tungsten is v. 3.4.0, and Carbon is 3.5.0. A majority of information captures were done with Maltego Carbon 3.5.3. The current version is Maltego Chlorine 3.6.0.)
Navigating the book site. To navigate this book site, double-click on the interactive graph, or click on the Table of Contents in the left menu bar, or click on the sequential path below.
Begin this path
- What is Maltego Carbon (as an Academic Research Tool)?
- What is Maltego Carbon (as a Penetration Testing Tool)?
- What is the Surface Web? What is Knowable from the Surface Web (broadly speaking)?
- What are "HTTP Networks"?
- What is the Deep or Hidden Web? What is Knowable There (broadly speaking)?
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) for Maltego Carbon
- Basic Functions of Maltego Carbon
- "Machines" and "Transforms"
- Tweet Analyzer "Machine"
- Research with Maltego Carbon
- Adding Functionality to Maltego Carbon
- Team Co-Research Tool and Server Version
- Legalities and Disclaimers in Maltego Carbon
- A Q&A with Roelof Temmingh, Founder and Managing Director of Paterva
- Glossary of Terms
- About Paterva