A History of Lucasville Ohio: A Digital GalleryMain MenuThe History of Lucasville, Ohio : A Virtual ExhibitThe History of Lucasville, OhioThe Lucasville Historical SocietyBehind the Scenes of the CollectionThe CollectionA brief history and visual representation of Lucasville's history.Resources and Useful WebpagesThe Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb
J.H. Brant Store
12019-04-17T00:19:13-07:00The Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb334051Image of a newspaper clipping entitled "Open House". The content states that the Brant and Appel store will celebrate its 90th birthday during the 175th birthday of Lucasville. The image that accompanies the content is of the Brant and Appel Co. Store front.plain2019-04-17T00:19:14-07:00The Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb
This page is referenced by:
1media/Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.20.50 PM.png2019-04-17T00:43:37-07:00The Joseph H. Brant Store8A showcase of a local Lucasville businessplain2019-04-20T15:45:18-07:00The Brant Store was a family owned general store that served Lucasville for generations, providing merchandise that supplied a wide range of needs. Joseph H. Brant Jr., son to Joseph Brant Sr. and Susan Wilson, founded the business, which emerged out of a store owned originally by Dr. B.G. Warwick. Brant worked for Warwick until Warwick passed away in 1880. He then purchased the store and worked as a pharmacist there. The store’s slogans, including “The Village Store” and “Merchants to People Who Know”, illustrate its strong local appeal.
In 1903, the Brant-Appel Company was established, expanding the general store’s business. Brant’s own son, Clyde, worked as a storekeeper, and in the 1930s, he also began publishing his own newspaper, the Whittler’s Gazette. The newspaper was satirical in nature and trailed local events, often highlighted by entertaining stories and poetry. Clyde himself often assumed another persona, writing as a hillbilly named “Rube”. While locals knew Rube was a character Clyde portrayed in writing, Clyde would jest about Rube’s anonymity and on occasion, Rube and Clyde would even banter back in forth in the newspaper.
In 1968, Jean and Robert Hancock became the primary shareholders of the Brant-Appel Company and transitioned from selling general merchandise to kitchen and cabinetry items. In 1983, the company was officially renamed the Brant-Appel & Hancock Company.