The main wing of the asylum first began holding patients on November 20th, 1883, with the east wing designated for male patients, and the west for female. Each wing has 3 separate wards that are capable of caring for 35 patients each. When the hospital was first occupied however, it only held 49 patients. By 1885, that number had grown to 97 which was still significantly below the maximum capacity of the main building, which was 210 individuals.
The problem of overpopulation would once again rear its head in the late 1880's. Throughout 1888, there were once again reports from across the state that claimed that the asylum was unable to take on new patients. One such report came from the Leadville Daily Chronicle on December 15th, 1888 where it was reported that DR. P. R. Thombs had sent word to the sheriff that he would be unable to admit a man who was recently declared insane by a local court. 1889, the steps were taken to undertake new additions throughout the campus. The total request for funds was $93, 436.27 and included projects like a new irrigation ditch, furniture, and an addition to the male wing of the main building to combat overcrowding.