Week Fourteen: Conclusion
Session OneAssignment: Watch The Black Panther on NetFlix or the like and answer the following questions:
1. Identify three places in the movie where one could argue that at that precise moment T'Challa becomes a leader. What is the best argument for calling him a leader at this point in the movie? In which of your three moments do you believe T'Challa is truly a leader? What is the process that has brought him to this point of being a leader?
2. What kind of leader is T'Challa compared to the others we have studied in this course?
3. Does Killmonger ever become a leader? If so, when? What is his process of becoming a leader like compared to T'Challa's (compare especially his initiation to become king of Wakanda)?
4. What other characters in the movie could be considered leaders--and why?
5. Is king T'Chaka a good mentor/role model or a bad one?
6. The Black Panther concludes with T'Challa's plan to share technological information with the rest of the world (Shuri will oversee this) as well as "social outreach" (Nakia will oversee this). What do you believe T'Challa/Nakia has in mind by "social outreach"? Specifically, what is it about leadership, culture, or political organization that you believe Wakanda can share to improve the world?