Dr. Laning, the church's prime mover, sold the church building and property to the diocese in 1877 and later moved to Kingman, Kansas, where a church convention journal commended him for building single-handed "a pretty mission church in Indiana." Surprisingly, St. Philip's was not consecrated until July 1885 by Talbot's successor, Bishop David Knickerbacker, perhaps because it was still in debt. Two years later in his convention address, the bishop called it called "one of the neatest little church buildings in this part of the diocese, and the few earnest members are to be commended for their care of the material temple."
In 1892, the church was struck by lightning and severely damaged. Membership dwindled over time, and in 1894, the Rev. Walter Scott of Bristol was given charge of it, together with New Carlisle. When the Diocese of Michigan City was created, St. Philip's was still listed on the books, but no one ever filed a parish report. The Rev. Clarence Brandt, missionary at New Carlisle, did some pastoral work there. In 1902 the church property was sold and later became the Church of the Brethren in North Liberty. A few records from this mission survive between 1890 and 1894.
Parish Register, 1890-1894