Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
St. John's Episcopal Church, LaGrange
12019-09-16T07:20:45-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327165plain2020-06-27T11:20:17-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252St. John's Mission was founded by Bishop Joseph Talbot of Indiana in 1872. Little information exists about its formation, and none of its records have survived. The Rev. Wellington Forgus, a missionary who held the pulpits of St. Mark's, Howe, and St. John 's, Bristol, may have been the organizer. The mission continued to be served by priests at St. Mark's. In 1882, when the Rev. Samuel C. M. Orpen was in charge, the mission had just twelve families with only four communicants. Although it was still listed as a mission when the diocese was founded in 1899, it had ceased to operate years before that.