Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. Maxwell Brown of Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angola
12019-07-13T10:08:38-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327161Rev. Maxwell Brown of Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angolaplain2019-07-13T10:08:39-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
This page is referenced by:
1media/Holy Family Angola exterior, Sep 2015.jpg2019-07-13T09:24:10-07:00Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angola35image_header2020-11-16T12:30:01-08:00Holy Family in Angola was formed as an unorganized mission in 1951. Bishop Reginald Mallett spent Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday there that year, conferred with many students of Tri-State College as well as townspeople, and held services in the local Methodist Church. About 35 attended the original service and meeting. The ministerial work was placed initially under the care of the Rev. Robert Murphy of Howe. Once the mission was organized formally in 1953, the congregation met in various spaces, including in a fire hall and a student activity building. For a time it also worshiped in a private house, where services were conducted in the living room while the Sunday school met in the kitchen. The pump organ was powered by an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. Later, Tri-State College offered space for worship. The Rev. Leo Maxwell Brown of Coldwater, Michigan, provided early leadership between 1952 and 1957. During the mid-1960s, Holy Family's vicar, George Minnix, served as chaplain to Tri-State College, while Theron Lansford, then a psychology professor, provided early lay leadership for its Canterbury Club. He would later become ordained and serve for many years as its vicar.
Holy Family's present building, its second, was constructed over a three-month span in 1966 and was located at 909 South Darling Street. The project came about after Bishop Klein announced a matching grant if the congregation could raise $4,500. Members compiled a cookbook that helped raise the necessary funds and then poured all of its energies into constructing the building. The grounds feature a memorial garden to parishioner Robert Hanna, and its bell tower is made of steel girders. The bell is dedicated to St. Gabriel. By the 1990s, it had about 50 members, drawing from Michigan and Ohio as well as Indiana.
12020-11-16T11:50:20-08:00Rev. Leo Maxwell Brown1plain2020-11-16T11:50:20-08:00The Rev. Leo Maxwell Brown was born in Mishawaka, Indiana, on 25 February 1915, the son of Elmer Lewis and Mable Grace (Ledgerwood) Brown. He received a degree from Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti in 1939, and studied theology at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, graduating in 1943, the same year he was ordained both a deacon and priest. He married Catherine Mary Woodward on 28 June 1941. He was rector of St. Andrew's in Taft, California, from 1943 to 1945. He then became priest-in-charge of St. Thomas Church in Avenal, California, from 1944 to 1945, holding several diocesan offices. He came to Michigan after World War II, serving at Good Shepherd in Allegan from 1945 to 1950, as well as priest-in-charge of St. Francis in Orangeville, Michigan, from 1946 to 1950. He then moved to Coldwater to become rector of St. Mark's from 1950 to 1960, during which time he helped organize Holy Family Church in Angola, Indiana. He moved to Waukesha, Wisconsin, in 1963 as rector of St. Matthias, remaining there until 1980. During these years he taught classes at Nashotah House. In 1980 he returned to Indiana as vicar of Holy Family in Angola, remaining there until his retirement in 1985. He then moved back to Wisconsin, where he served various interim rectorships. He died in Madison, Wisconsin, on 13 January 2004 and was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery in Madison.