Rev. John Newton Rippey1 media/Rev John Newton Rippey_thumb.jpg 2020-09-13T10:36:39-07:00 John David Beatty 85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252 32716 1 Rev. John Newton Rippey plain 2020-09-13T10:36:39-07:00 John David Beatty 85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
This page is referenced by:
media/Trinity Fort Wayne exterior.jpg
Trinity Episcopal Church, Fort Wayne
For photographs, see:
Trinity Episcopal Church Archives website
For parish registers, see the following links from Familysearch. A free registration and login is required for access.
Parish Register, Christ Church (1839), Trinity, 1844-1853
Parish Register, 1839-1888
Parish Register, 1889-1923
Parish Register, 1923-1947
Marriage Register, 1924-1941
Marriage Register, 1941-1961
Register of Communicants, 1948-1964
Baptismal Register, 1948-1974
Vestry Minutes, 1839 (Christ Church); 1844-1878
Vestry Minutes, 1879-1912
Vestry Minutes, 1913-1931
Vestry Minutes, 1932-1947
Vestry Minutes, 1947-1952
Vestry Minutes, 1953-1959
Vestry Minutes, 1960-1970
The Episcopal Church in Fort Wayne can trace its origin to the tireless efforts of Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Missionary Bishop of the Northwest, who arrived in town in 1837 to assess the feasibility of establishing a church. Fort Wayne was then a remote frontier outpost, and the Episcopal Church found itself a weak competitor at that time in the mission field. Two years later Kemper sent a missionary, the Rev. Benjamin Hutchins of Philadelphia, and established Christ Church, but the parish folded in less than a year for lack of support. Most parishes in the new Diocese of Indiana were located in central and southern part of the state.
A few years passed until the spark for a establishing a church reignited. Peter P. Bailey, a merchant from New York City, settled in town and missed the services of his former church. Together with several other lay leaders, he persuaded Kemper to send another missionary, the Rev. Benjamin Halsted of New York and previously of New Harmony, Indiana. Together they organized Trinity Episcopal Church on May 25, 1844. The church faced many initial financial and recruiting challenges and met initially in the county courthouse until it could raise funds for building a small, wood-frame chapel at the corner of Berry and Harrison streets. They bought an organ with four stops – the first documented church organ in town.
Trinity’s earliest members came from several groups, including area residents who had been Episcopalians in the East, English and Canadian immigrants, and newcomers to the faith, many of them community leaders, who found the liturgy of the Book of Common Prayer intriguing, its sermons intellectual, and the atmosphere of the church not overly judgmental.
During the Civil War under the second rectorate of the Rev. Joseph Large, who returned at the vestry's request, the vestry and lay women together raised funds to construct a new Gothic Revival edifice in an acclaimed design by Charles Crosby Miller of Toledo, Ohio. The building included split-faced sandstone walls with limestone trim and painted glass windows of English design, most of which still survive in the church. The edifice was completed in 1866 and consecrated two years later by Bishop Joseph Cruikshank Talbot after the parish had raised additional funds for a new organ. The church was nestled in what came to be known at the West Central Neighborhood and was surrounded by large Victorian-style houses.
The parish grew steadily through the late nineteenth century. Several rectors, including the Rev. Colin Campbell Tate, William Naylor Webbe, and Alexander Seabrease, preached a strong Social Gospel message, advocating for outreach to the poor, temperance, and women’s suffrage. Many members of the congregation were well-educated and supported a variety of reform efforts, including advocacy for a city parks and boulevard system. In 1892 Seabrease and the vestry redecorated the church with a new pulpit (intricately inlaid with brass cartouches), a marble baptismal font with a brass eagle cover, an eagle-shaped lectern, marble altar, and a silver communion service, all of which are still in use. A vested choir of men and boys made its first appearance and became popular.
The Diocese of Michigan City was created in 1898 in the top third of Indiana. Trinity, as the largest parish, exercised much influence. The Rev. Edward Wilson Averill, the first to be called “Father,” arrived in 1904 and built the church into a program-sized parish. His successor, the Rev. Louis Rocca, redecorated the nave in the 1920s with a décor that many considered ornate and garish with deep reds, blues, and gold. He also added a rood screen. During the Great Depression of the 1930s the Rev. James McNeal Wheatley, the most Anglo-Catholic rector in the church's history, led the parish successfully in paying off its mortgage through a period of austerity and brought the congregation through World War II.
During Wood’s tenure the neighborhood around the church began to evolve. Though the owners of some of the old houses, especially to the west of the church, restored them to their original finery, they divided others into apartments for lower-income housing or converted them to offices. Many others were demolished to make room to parking lots. Since then, a strong preservation movement has involved in the city to protect the remaining historic homes, and Trinity stands inside a local historic district with covenants surrounding the protection of its external appearance.
Trinity’s strong Anglo-Catholic liturgical model began to evolve in the 1970s during the rectorate of Wood’s successor, the Rev. Dr. C. Corydon Randall. A Broad Church model with strong lay leadership and a new sense of openness replaced the older style. Randall instituted the commission system of parish administration, increasing both lay participation and outreach. He also opened the communion rail to all baptized Christians and invited women to preach, serve on the vestry, and brought girls into the acolyte corps. Together with several church leaders in 1977, he helped found Canterbury School, a private, independent school for grades kindergarten through six that used the church classrooms for several years until moving to its own quarters in 1980. It has become an acclaimed educational institution in the state. Randall also spent much of his rectorate renovating the parish buildings, spearheading a capital campaign, creating endowments, and having the church entered on the National Register of Historic Places. After leaving Trinity in 1988, he served parishes in San Diego, California, and Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Now retired as Rector Emeritus, he and his wife returned to Fort Wayne and are members of the congregation. He often leads the Friday Morning Study Group and occasionally the Adult Forum, teaching on Old Testament topics.
Randall’s successor, the Rev. Frank H. Moss III, built upon Randall’s legacy of reform and openness. In 1992, he brought the first woman priest to the diocese, the Rev. Robin Thomas, to serve as Trinity’s curate. He also continued to build the endowments. Under the leadership of its precentor, Wayne Peterson, the church’s musical offerings continued to enjoy local acclaim. Trinity became with the Royal School of Church Music that has as its motto, “I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.” Many in the congregation recognize and appreciate Peterson’s spiritual, as well as musical, gifts. Moss left in 1999 and later served churches in Massachusetts and Oregon before eventually retiring to Oregon.
Trinity’s eighteenth rector, the Rev. Dr. Thomas P. Hansen, arrived in 2006 from Nebraska. Hansen inaugurated a labyrinth ministry, initially using a canvas inside the Great Hall and later constructing a permanent labyrinth of stone on the western side of the parish grounds. Through local press coverage it has sparked interest from Christians of other denominations. In 2010 the parish led a successful capital campaign to replace its aging boiler and heating system. It later received several large bequests to refurbish and replace its organ and build a new handicap-accessible entrance and carport on its western side. As a downtown parish the church has become involved in a variety of outreach ministries, including Wellspring Social Services, the Associated Churches Food Bank, the West Central Neighborhood Ministry (led by five parishes including Trinity), and Habitat for Humanity. Its clergy participate regularly in an annual interfaith Thanksgiving service. Traditional liturgical music and hymns, expertly presented by its choir, remain a strong part of the parish DNA, and Peterson, who has served more than 30 years as precentor, regularly leads the parish in a variety of special concerts and events in addition to Sunday morning worship. As retired Bishop Edward S. Little has commented, “Trinity is very Cathedralesque.” Hansen announced that he would retire at the end of 2016, though he plans to remain in Fort Wayne and stay active in the diocese. He has said that leaves the parish in a strong position for new growth and vision. In 2017, the parish called the Rev. T. J. Freeman to be its 19th rector.
Benjamin Hutchins, 1839
Benjamin Halsted, 1844-1846
Joseph S. Large, 1848-1854
Caleb Alexander Bruce, 1854-1855
Eugene Charles Pattison, 1856-1858
Stephen Henry Battin, 1858-1863
Joseph S. Large, 1863-1872
Colin Campbell Tate, 1872-1879
William Naylor Webbe, 1879-1888
Alexander Washington Seabrease, 1888-1904
John Newton Rippey, (interim) 1904
Edward Wilson Averill, 1904-1923
Louis Niccola Rocca, 1923-1930
Joseph William Gubbins (interim), 1931
Charles Noyes Tyndell, 1931-1932
James McNeal Wheatley, 1932-1947
Peter Langendorff (interim), 1947
George Bartlett Wood, 1947-1971
Chandler Corydon Randall, 1971-1988
David Gurniak (interim), 1988-1990
Frank Hazlett Moss III, 1990-1999
Henrietta Brandt Lavengood (interim), 2000
Rebecca Ferrell Nickel, 2001-2004
Robert Askren (interim), 2004-2006
Thomas Parker Hansen, 2006-2016
T. J. Freeman, 2017-
John D. Beatty, Beyond These Stones: A History of Trinity Episcopal Church, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Fort Wayne: Trinity Episcopal Church, 1994.
Trinity Episcopal Mission, Kendallville (defunct)
In July 1890, the first Episcopal service in Kendallville, Noble County, was conducted in the Presbyterian Church by Bishop David Buel Knickerbacker and William Mitchell, a native of Kendallville, a Harvard graduate, and a candidate for Holy Orders. At the time Knickerbacker gave communion to all baptized Christians in attendance, "a act," said a history, "which as much as anything also helped to create a good and healthy impression towards the Church and the Prayer Book."
After ordination as a deacon, Mitchell returned in 1891 and held services in the Opera House, which were reportedly well attended. He then led the formal organization of the mission on 4 September 1892. Bishop Knickerbacker returned that year and confirmed six. That same year Mitchell's father, John Mitchell, a prominent citizen in town, gave a lot east of the family homestead on Diamond Street near Main for the church. It allowed the congregation to break ground and lay the cornerstone. The little church was finished in 1893. After Mitchell left for Terre Haute, a series of missionaries and lay readers assumed charge of both Kendallville and Emmanuel Episcopal Mission in Garrett. Two extant parish registers contain records only from 1890 to 1899 and 1907 to 1938, but there is evidence that services continued until 1941. For many years the congregation was led by its senior warden and lay reader, Archie Campbell, who had married Kate Mitchell, William Mitchell's sister. Campbell was reputedly one of the wealthiest men in Noble County, a local merchant, and a generous benefactor of the poor. He died in 1934.
Over time, the parish lost members to other larger mainline Protestant denominations. A few stalwart members remained, but few others were willing to travel for services in Kendallville when there were more successful churches of other denominations available. In 1947, the Rev. George B. Wood of Trinity Fort Wayne wrote to Bishop Mallett to report that the records of the church and a few holy vessels had been deposited with him. The building was by then in derelict condition with broken windows and only a broken organ inside. A year later, the bishop received a second report that the windows had been boarded up. The mission property was sold in 1951.
William Mitchell, 1890-1893
Charles Tullidge Stout, 1894-1895
John Edwin Carpenter, 1896-1898
Edward E. St. John (lay reader), 1898
Legh Wilson Applegate, 1900-1902
John Newton Rippey, 1902-1903
William Burbury Magnan, 1903-1906
Hobart Louis Marvin, 1906-1910
Herbert A. Wilson, 1910
Cleon E. Bigler, 1913-1914
A. M. Judd, 1914-1915
Gomer David Griffiths, 1916
Charles A. Reah, 1917
Duncan Weeks, 1920-1924
Albert Linnell Schrock, 1924-1935
Clarence Parker, 1939
Dom Leo Kenneth Douglas Patterson, 1941-1945
Clergy Book, Service Register, and Parish Register, 1890-1904
Parish Register, 1907-1938
Rev. John Newton Rippey
The Rev. John Newton Rippey was born in Ontario County, New York, on 21 September 1839, the son of William and Mary (Hayes) Rippey. He attended the Albany Medical College and received a medical degree. He served as a surgeon during the Civil War, attached tot he First Regiment of the New York Veterans Cavalry. He married Anna P. McKay in New York on 21 December 1864. He was ordained a deacon in 1869 and a priest in 1871 by Bishop Clarkson, and began his ministerial career at St, Mark's in Omaha, Nebraska, from 1869 to 1871. He moved from there to Holy Trinity in Schuyler, Nebraska, in 1871, and then in 1873 to St. Thomas Church in Milford, Ohio. In 1879 he became rector of St. John's Church in Lancaster, Ohio, and then moved to Michigan, where he spent the majority of his career. He became rector of St. Paul's Church in Muskegon from 1884 to 1890 and then did general missionary work for the Diocese of Western Michigan from 1890 to 1893. He was rector of St. Paul's in Elk Rapids from 1893 to 1896, and at St. Paul's in Greenville, Michigan, from 1892 to 1902. He came to northern Indiana as semi-retired that year. Bishop White placed him on the Diocesan Council and sent him to work at Trinity Church in Kendallville from 1902 to 1903. He also did interim work at Trinity Fort Wayne in 1904 between the Rev. Alexander Seabrease and the Rev. Edward Averill. After this date he retired and died in Elkhart on 10 September 1914.