Strategies for Applying Principle 6: Privacy
- Becoming familiar with all privacy settings available in the ePortfolio system, such as the ability to make an ePortfolio password-protected or “shareable” but not public.
- Prioritizing tools that optimize customization of permissions and permit page-level permissions.
- Acknowledging that how ePortfolio platforms interact with third parties can challenge students’ right to privacy.
- Preparing educators, administrators, staff, and students to understand the ways in which student privacy might be challenged via data mining, tracking, etc.
- Balancing the ePortfolio creator’s right to privacy and the efficacy of the ePortfolio program’s sharing capabilities.