Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
St. Luke's Episcopal Mission, Whiting
12019-07-27T13:40:01-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327166plain2020-11-20T08:54:09-08:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252St. Luke's was founded as a mission in Whiting, Lake County, on 16 September 1902. At the time Whiting was a so-called "sundown town" that did not allow African Americans within its limits. Its first vicar, the Rev. Charles Albert Smith, was a recent seminary graduate. The mission, which never had a building of its own, failed to thrive and later folded into the Church of the Good Shepherd, East Chicago. Its records exist and are preserved in the diocesan archives.