Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
St. Luke's Episcopal Mission, Kewanna
12019-07-24T07:38:13-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327166plain2020-09-30T12:34:15-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252Efforts to establish an Episcopal Church in Fulton County, Indiana, proved challenging in the early years of the Diocese and never achieved success. In 1889, Bishop David Buel Knickerbacker desired that a mission be opened at Kewanna. The Rev. William Wirt Raymond, rector of St. Thomas Church in Plymouth, became the first missionary at the bishop's urging and offered occasional services in town. Afterward, priests from Plymouth held occasional services. St. Luke's was still listed as a mission when the diocese was created in 1898, but it existed only briefly and soon closed. Later, several bishops made efforts to establish a church at Rochester, the county seat, but all attempts were unsuccessful. The few records of the Kewanna mission are recorded in parish registers of St. Thomas, Plymouth. They include baptisms between 1889 and 1897 (Parish Register 2, pp. 122-130, and Parish Register 3, pp. 146-147). There were apparently no marriages or burials recorded.