Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. Samuel Hanna Norman Elliott
12020-10-10T14:26:20-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327162plain2020-10-11T06:48:14-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252The Rev. Samuel H. N. Elliott was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on 1 October 1912, the son of James Ely and Eliza (Hanna) Elliott. Through his mother he was descended from a prominent local family. The mother was a church musician and organist who later entered an Episcopal sisterhood. Elliott graduated from William and Mary in 1936 and then attended Nashotah House, receiving a Master of Divinity in 1942. He married Phyllis Maude Hughes on 22 June 1942 in Fort Wayne. Returning to the city of his birth, Elliott was ordained in 1942 by Bishop Gray and worked as a curate at Trinity Episcopal Church, Fort Wayne, under the Rev. James McNeal Wheatley the year previous. Bishop Gray moved him to Gethsemane Church, Marion, and at St. Paul's Gas City, serving from 1942 to 1943. During World War II he entered the U.S. Army as a chaplain. He returned to Indiana after the war to become priest-in-charge of St. Stephen's, Hobart, from 1946 to 1949. During the same period he was also priest-in-charge of St. Andrew's, Valparaiso, from 1946 to 1951. Elliott then left the diocese, moving to Woodstock, Vermont, to take charge of St. James Church from 1951 to 1953. He then became rector of St. Augustine's, Croton, New York, from 1953 to 1957 and vicar of All Saints, Oakville, Connecticut, from 1958 to 1959. He served in a non-parochial capacity from 1959 to 1962 and again from 1965 to 1969. From 1962 to 1965 he was rector of St. Paul's Church in Watertown and chaplain of a city mission in Madison, Wisconsin. He died on 13 June 1982 in Fort Wayne and was buried in Lindenwood Cemetery.