Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. Richard Arthur Curtis
12020-10-18T14:35:21-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327161plain2020-10-18T14:35:21-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252The Rev. Richard A. Curtis was born in Marion, Indiana, on 17 January 1917, the son of Perry R. and Edna (Dolan) Curtis. He married Loretta Knox in Grant County, Indiana, on 17 June 1939. Curtis was introduced to the Episcopal Church in 1945 at Gethsemane Church in Marion by its then-rector, the Rev. William Sheridan. He became a devoted churchman and read for orders under Bishop Mallett, who ordained him to the priesthood in Marion in 1956. He began his career serving the missions of St. Paul's in Gas City and St. Mary's in Delphi from 1956 to 1960. Then he came on the staff of the Cathedral of St. James, being named its first Canon Pastor in 1963. He remained there until 1971, when he moved to Howe, Indiana, to become chaplain of Howe Military Academy. He suffered from cancer of the kidneys, however, and died in Lagrange, Indiana, on 21 September 1973 at the age of only 56. He was buried in Grant Memorial Cemetery in Marion.
This page references:
1media/Rev Richard Curtis of Howe_thumb.JPG2020-02-18T11:59:29-08:00Rev. Richard A. Curtis of Gas City and Howe2Rev. Richard A. Curtis of Gas City and Howemedia/Rev Richard Curtis of Howe.JPGplain2020-08-19T06:41:04-07:00