Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. John Henry Weddell
12020-09-12T17:22:22-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327165plain2020-09-12T17:53:09-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252The Rev. John Henry Weddell was born on 8 March 1844 near Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1872 and married Lizzie Porter. He began his career in Louisiana, serving as a missionary at Opelousas from 1870 to 1872, and Grace Church, Monroe, from 1872 to 1873. He served as rector of Trinity Church in Peru, Indiana, from 1873 to 1875. He then moved to Middlebury, Vermont as rector of St. Stephen's Church until 1876, then went to New York City to serve briefly as a tutor at the City College of New York. He then went to Florida and became an able assistant of Bishop William Crane Gray in 1882. He built the first Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's, in Tampa, and was named archdeacon of the diocese in 1890. He died on 18 July 1915 and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Orlando.