Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. Charles Albert Smith
12020-10-24T09:42:31-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327161plain2020-10-24T09:42:31-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252The Rev. Charles A. Smith was born in Stratford, Connecticut, on 4 December 1870, the son of Franklin Curtis and Jennie (Stewart) Smith. He graduated from Yale in 1894 and attended Berkeley Divinity School, graduating in 1897, the same year he was ordained a deacon. He married Adelaide Helen Tracy. After serving as an assistant at St. Paul's Church in Poughkeepsie, New York, he came to Indiana as vicar of St. Paul's in Hammond and the Church of the Good Shepherd, East Chicago. He was also given charge of St. Alban's in Indiana Harbor. He did much to advance the work of the Episcopal Church in these communities, paying off debts and putting them on a more stable basis. He resigned from Good Shepherd in 1909, but he continued to hold St. Paul's in Hammond until 1913, when he resigned from the ministry and became an agent for the Northwest Mutual Life Insurance Company. He remained a lay member of St. Paul's until his death on 19 July 1939. He was buried in Ridgelawn Cemetery in Gary.