Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. Peter Langendorff article
1media/Rev Peter Langendorff article_thumb.jpg2020-12-10T10:39:47-08:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327161Rev. Peter Langendorff articleplain2020-12-10T10:39:47-08:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
This page is referenced by:
12020-10-25T13:35:27-07:00Rev. Peter Langendorff2plain2020-12-10T10:40:49-08:00The Rev. Peter Langendorff was born in Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany on 24 July 1873, the son of Jens Nicolai and Anna Catharina (Peterson) Langendorff. Coming to America in 1882, he married Ida Sophia Graessle on 3 November 1897. He was initially ordained in the Lutheran Church and served 18 years, including a stint in Sandusky, Ohio, before he decided in 1916 to become ordained in the Episcopal Church. He was ordained a deacon in 1916 and a priest in 1917 by Bishop Lewis William Burton of the Diocese of Lexington, Kentucky. He served parishes at Bellevue and Dayton in Kentucky before moving to East St. Louis, Illinois. He was enumerated there in 1920. The following year he came to Hammond, Indiana, to serve as rector of St. Paul's, remaining there until his retirement in 1945. He also served as vicar of St. Augustine's in Gary, a largely African-American congregation, from 1934 to 1936 and again in retirement from 1949 to 1951. He was also an interim pastor at Trinity Fort Wayne in 1947. It was stated in his obituary that "practically every parish and mission in Northern Indiana benefited from his priestly ministrations at some time in his retirement." He served many diocesan offices, including on the Standing Committee. He died in Hammond on 21 October 1966 and was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Hammond.