Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
Rev. George Minnix, rector of Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angola, and St. Christopher's, Crown Point
12019-07-13T10:07:30-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327162Rev. George Minnix, rector of Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angola, and St. Christopher's, Crown Point, 1970splain2020-07-19T11:12:12-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
This page is referenced by:
1media/Holy Family Angola exterior, Sep 2015.jpg2019-07-13T09:24:10-07:00Holy Family Episcopal Church, Angola35image_header2020-11-16T12:30:01-08:00Holy Family in Angola was formed as an unorganized mission in 1951. Bishop Reginald Mallett spent Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday there that year, conferred with many students of Tri-State College as well as townspeople, and held services in the local Methodist Church. About 35 attended the original service and meeting. The ministerial work was placed initially under the care of the Rev. Robert Murphy of Howe. Once the mission was organized formally in 1953, the congregation met in various spaces, including in a fire hall and a student activity building. For a time it also worshiped in a private house, where services were conducted in the living room while the Sunday school met in the kitchen. The pump organ was powered by an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. Later, Tri-State College offered space for worship. The Rev. Leo Maxwell Brown of Coldwater, Michigan, provided early leadership between 1952 and 1957. During the mid-1960s, Holy Family's vicar, George Minnix, served as chaplain to Tri-State College, while Theron Lansford, then a psychology professor, provided early lay leadership for its Canterbury Club. He would later become ordained and serve for many years as its vicar.
Holy Family's present building, its second, was constructed over a three-month span in 1966 and was located at 909 South Darling Street. The project came about after Bishop Klein announced a matching grant if the congregation could raise $4,500. Members compiled a cookbook that helped raise the necessary funds and then poured all of its energies into constructing the building. The grounds feature a memorial garden to parishioner Robert Hanna, and its bell tower is made of steel girders. The bell is dedicated to St. Gabriel. By the 1990s, it had about 50 members, drawing from Michigan and Ohio as well as Indiana.
12020-10-18T14:53:06-07:00Rev. George Myers Minnix4plain2020-10-18T15:03:23-07:00The Rev. George Minnix was born in Elkhart, Indiana, on 22 April 1939, the son of Lloyd Zinn and Mariette Helen (Myers) Minnix. He graduated from Howe Military Academy and contuined to college at William and Mary, where he graduated in 1961. He then attended seminary at Nashotah House, from which he graduated in 1964. He was ordained by Bishop Klein in 1964. His first assignment was as vicar of Holy Family Church in Angola and the mission of St. Charles the Martyr, Butler. The latter closed, but he remained at Angola until 1969. He then moved to Howe to become chaplain at Howe Military School and later rector of St. Mark's in Lima from 1974 to 1986. He left active ministry briefly to serve as director of the Ruthmere House Museum in Elkhart, but then he accepted the rectorship of St. Christopher's in Crown Point, where he served from 1996 to 2001. Late in his career he served on the staff of St. Paul's Church in Mishawaka. He died in Elkhart on 29 August 2016 and was praised in his obituary as "a priest of profound faith, a pastor of immense compassion, and a fine teacher with a vast storehouse of knowledge in a variety of disciplines."