Kudos! 2015 SIDLIT Award Winners
By Angela Glascock, Fairfield Schools, USD 310
Figure 1: 2015 SIDLIT Awards
Each year an outstanding group of individuals from across Kansas and Missouri, members of professional organizations, industry, government, public and private education, are nominated for the three SIDLIT awards.
And the Winners Are...
For 2015, the winners are:
- Ben Ward - Outstanding Technical Support Award
- Beth Toland - Innovation in Teaching Award
- Adam Holden - Jonathan Bacon Leadership Award
According to nomination information about Ben, “Faculty and staff appreciate Ben’s friendly nature and his efforts to guide them to greater heights in evolving online and hybrid courses. He provides quality service, and finds and uses resources effectively.” Ben is an instructional designer in the Information Technology Assistance Center at Kansas State University.
Figure 2: Ben Ward
The winner of the Innovation in Teaching Award from Allen Community College is Beth Toland. Her nomination stated “Beth does whatever is necessary for her students. She is an outstanding, caring online instructor who is always among the first to innovate and is always willing to learn new things.” Beth is also a former kindergarten, first, fourth, and fifth grade teacher who is now an Early Childhood Education Specialist at Allen.
Figure 3: Beth Toland
For the Jonathan Bacon Leadership Award, “Adam Holden has transformed the approach to learning with the Department of Teacher Education infusing technology and integrating it into both the instructional process and the ethos of the department. He has empowered faculty to take risks and experiment with new technologies.” He has been in education for more than 25 years with experience in Europe as well as the United States. Currently, he serves as the Chair of the Department of Teacher Education at Fort Hays State University.
Figure 4: Adam Holden
Other Illustrious Nominees
The group of those nominated is always stellar and the choice is definitely competitive. For 2015, other nominees included:
- Eddie Andreo - Cowley College
- Joe Clasen - Cowley College
- Lisa Craft - Kansas State University
- Deana King - Fort Hays State University
- Matt Rorvig - Wentworth Military Academy and College
- David Swisher - Tabor College
- Megan Taylor - National Weather Service
- Hattie Wiley - National Weather Service
- Brent Zweifel - Wentworth Military Academy and College
Of course, all of these awards do not magically happen - it takes a group of individuals working together. The Awards Committee and Reviewers for 2015 are the following:
- Angela Glascock - USD 310 Fairfield Schools
- Rebecca Gould - Kansas State University
- Shalin Hai-Jew - Kansas State University
- Ed Hall - Seward County Community College/Area Technical School
- Meg McGranaghan - Butler Community College
- Michelle Micheal - Metropolitan Community College/UCMO
- Vincent Miller - Johnson County Community College
- Susan Stuart - Kansas City Kansas Community College
- Beth Ramirez - Johnson County Community College
- Julie Rorabaugh - Cowley College
- Carine Ullom - Ottawa University
Congratulations to all of the 2016 award winners and nominees, and thanks to all of those who helped with the organization and selection of the winners.
About the Author
Angela Glascock is a Business teacher, Assessments Coordinator, and Jill-of-All-Trades for Fairfield Schools, USD 310. She has worked in education for 23 years both in secondary and post-secondary as a business/math/computer teacher and instructional designer. Her degrees are B.S. Business Administration, B.A. Secondary Education, M.S. Instructional Design & Technology, and an in-progress M.S. Business Education.
|Previous page on path||Cover, page 5 of 28||Next page on path|