Ways of thinking about the intersection of documentary and games
- Discussion on Read/Watch/Play/Explore materials due today
- Game design exercise
- Discuss Documentary Game Project
- Ensure everyone has signed up to lead/design one weeks's schedule and lead the discussion
- Please create a Hypothesis account here. We're going to try and see if it's helpful to us as a way to more robustly and elegantly comment and annotate within Scalar pages.
- Games, Design and Play: A Detailed Approach to Iterative Game Design, Part 1 Chapters 1-2 (I am making these 2 chapters available as PDF)
- "Real | Unreal: Crafting Actuality in the Documentary Videogame," dissertation by Cynthia Katherine Poremba. Read the Introduction, page 1-32.
- Bury me, my love (2017), by The Pixel Hunt, Figs, and ARTE France
- JFK Reloaded (2004), by Traffic Games (please note again that if an item is not linked in the schedule, it means that there is no one single best link. In this case, please conduct your own broad research on the item)
- Look over some projects in the Scalar Showcase to give you a good idea of the look/feel/format of Scalar books/sites (my two recommendations: FemTechNet Critical Race & Ethnic Studies Pedagogy Workbook and Civic Media Project.