March 1 Readings
- Miriam Hansen, Babel and Babylon, Chapter 11 and Chapter 12
- Hastie, Amelie. “Louise Brooks: Star Witness.” Cinema Journal 36.3 (1997): 3-24.
- Explore: http://www.pandorasbox.com/
WEEK 4 audiences & stars
March 8 Readings
- Jackie Stacey, "Star Gazing"
- Prock, “Music, Gender and the Politics of Performance” in Singing in the Rain
WEEK 5 collective pleasure
March 15 Class presentations of Middlebury Moviegoing Research Groups
- Barbara Ehrenreich et. al. “Beatlemania: Girls Just Want to Have Fun” (Audience Studies Reader)
- Miriam Hansen, Individual Response, Camera Obscura 1989
- Constance Penley, Individual Response, Camera Obscura 1989
Week 6 textual poaching and negotiative viewing
March 22 Visit to Special Collections for Zines & Movie Mags
Class presentations of Middlebury Moviegoing Research Groups Continued
- Henry Jenkins, Textual Poachers Intro & Chapter 1 Get a Life: Fans, Poachers, Nomads
- Jonathan Gray, Cornell Sandvoss, and C. Lee Harrington. “Introduction: Why Study Fans?”
- Stuart Hall Encoding/Decoding
- Michel De Certeau, "The Practice of Everyday Life"
SPRING BREAK March 29/31