|9:00 am||Data and the Humanities||Nancy Um|
|11:00 am||Coffee Break|
|11:15 am||Small Groups|
|Data Structuring||Nancy Um|
|Your data with Tableau||Jason Tercha|
|Metadata Schema||Jennifer Embree|
|12:15 pm||Lunch and software check|
|1:15 pm||ArcGIS Online||Jason Tercha|
|3:15 pm||Coffee break|
|3:30 pm||Small Groups|
|Consult with GIS Core Facility||Kevin Heard|
|More ArcGIS online||Brad Skopyk|
|4:30 pm||Wrap up, exit tickets, and software check|
- Miriam Posner, “Humanities Data: A Necessary Contradiction,” June 25, 2015, Miriam Posner’s Blog.
- Karl W. Broman and Kara H. Woo, “Data Organization in Spreadsheets,” The American Statistician 72:1 (2018): 2-10. [Day 2 readings folder]
- Hadley Wickham, “Tidy Data,” Journal of Statistical Software 29:10 (August 2014). [Day 2 readings folder]
- Jen Jack Gieseking, “Where Are We? The Method of Mapping with GIS in Digital Humanities,” American Quarterly 70:3 (2018): 641-648. [Day 2 readings folder]
- Ian Gregory, “Exploiting Time and Space: A Challenge for GIS in the Digital Humanities,” in The Spatial Humanities: GIS and the Future of Humanities Scholarship, ed. David J. Bodenhamer, John Corrigan, and Trevor M. Harris (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2010): 58-75. [Day 2 readings folder]
Links and Resources
- Day 2 Collaborative Notes
- Tableau Desktop
- For those who are new to Tableau, visit the Tableau trial site. Insert university email address and click "Download Free Trial" in orange. Follow the steps to install the software.
- For those who have already downloaded Tableau Desktop on a trial basis, reactivate the software using this product key: TCX6-41E6-2400-7476-5716. This key will allow you to use the software for another few weeks.
- For a year-long free academic subscription to Tableau, visit the Tableau Academic page, and follow the instructions for students or instructors. A few days after the form is submitted, a product key to extend the subscription will be sent by email.
- Open Refine
- ArcGIS online (follow these instructions to sign in)
Day 2 exit ticket, to be completed at the end of the day