- What role did art and culture play in forming Germany’s national identity in the 19th century?
- How did artists and their publics respond to modernization in the late 19th century?
- In what ways did race, class, and social issues influence both traditional (academic) and non-traditional (experimental) artworks?
20% of final grade; due on the first day of Unit Two at the beginning of class
- Session 1A: Introduction
- Session 1B: Aesthetic Philosophy & Romanticism
- Session 2A: Art and the Nation
- Session 2B: Writing Workshop with special guest, Ari Feld (Writing Instructor and Spanish Language Interpreter)