How to Sign Up for a Gmail Account
Actually, the entire Gmail sign up process takes only a couple of minutes. This means that you will become a proud owner of a Gmail account in a couple of minutes! Keep in mind, however, that you need to provide your phone number in either case (it shouldn’t be necessarily linked to your account, though).
- In the first place, you can start the entire process by launching a new tab in the browser and accessing the Google website: https://google.com/.
- On the webpage of Google, you must click on the “Sign in” button – you can find it in the right-upper corner.
- Next, you will get to see the login form of Gmail. At that point, however, you must click on the “Create account” text button.
- Right after that, you will get to see the application form. Now, you must complete it (and it’s an easy thing to do). First, you need to enter your first and last name, as well as your username (it will also serve as your email address).
- Following it, set up a reliable password for your account (type it in both fields) and click on the “Next” button.
- On the next page, you will be asked to verify your identity with your phone number. For that, select your country and type your phone number. Click on the “Next” button.
- Immediately after that, you will get an SMS code onto your mobile phone number. Type that 6-digit code in the provided field and click on the “Verify” button.
- Right after that, you will be able to finalize the application form. At that point, you can remove your phone number in the first field (in case you don’t want to link it to your Gmail account). Provide your birthdate and gender. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- At the bottom, you will notice that the “I Agree” button will appear – click on that button.
- Now, you have just created a Gmail account. You can click on the “Gmail” text button and access it right away.
How to Link Mobile Phone to Your Account
Linking your phone number to your email address will actually help you to improve the security of your account. It will also help you if you accidentally lose access to your account, as you will be able to recover it then. Follow the guidelines and link your mobile phone number to your Gmail account.
- You can start the process by opening another tab in the browser and going to the Google website: https://google.com/.
- On Google’s webpage, you must click on the blue “Sign in” button, which you can find in the right-upper corner.
- After that, you must enter your password and click on the “Next” button.
- Now, you have just logged in to your account. If you have just signed up for Gmail, it is likely that the system will offer you to improve the security of your account (if not, use the guidelines from the section below, but choose “Mobile Phone” instead “Email Address”). At that point, click on the “Update” button.
- Select your country and type your phone number on the next page. Then, click on the “NEXT” button.
- You will get to see a pop-up window – click on the “OK” text button in it.
- After that, you will receive a 6-digit confirmation code on your mobile phone number. Type it in the provided field and click on “NEXT.”
- Following it, you will get to see the page with a notification, saying that you have just linked your phone number to your Gmail account. From that moment on, you will be able to use the phone number for recovering your account, as well as to enable a 2-step verification feature.
How to Link a Secondary Email Address to Your AccountInstead of linking your mobile phone number (if you are worried about your privacy, for example), you can link it to another email address. This will allow you to recover your Gmail account in case if something will go wrong.
- At first, you have to launch your browser and go to the following webpage: https://google.com/.
- Next, you must click on the blue “Sign in” button, which you can find in the right-upper corner.
- Type your password in the provided field and click on the “Next” button.
- Now, you have to click on the “Gmail” text button – you can find it at the top of the page.
- After accessing your Gmail inbox, you should click on the “Settings” button – you can find it in a form of a cogwheel in the right part of the page.
- On the page of your Gmail account’s settings, you must go to the “Accounts and Import” section.
- Then, click on “Change password recovery options” next to the “Change account settings” field.
- Under the “Account recovery options” section, you must click on “recovery email.”
- Following it, you will be asked to confirm your identity. For that purpose, type your password in the provided field and click on the “Next” button.
- After that, you must click on the “ADD RECOVERY EMAIL” button.
- In the new window, you should type your recovery email address in the provided field. Then, click on the “DONE” text button.
- Eventually, you will notice that that email address has been applied as a recovery email to your account. From that moment on, you will be able to use it for the recovery of your Gmail account.
Gmail Sign Up Problems
There are certain problems you may encounter when trying to complete the process of Gmail sign up. At this point of our article, we will describe the most common problems and solutions to them.
Google doesn’t allow me to create a new account. It is very likely that you don’t specify your phone number. While it had been possible to create a new Google account without providing a phone number before, nowadays you need to verify that you are a real person with your phone number. However, you don’t need to link your phone number to your account. But there is no way you can avoid providing it.
I want to create a Gmail account for my child. There is only one way how your child can use Gmail/Google: he/she must be 13 years old or older. If your child is younger, the policy of Google prohibits him/her to use the services of Google. You can, of course, cheat the service by specifying a wrong birthdate, but we don’t recommend you to do so.
How to Add a SignatureAnother thing you can do after completing the Gmail sign up process is adding a signature to your account. That signature will be displayed to everyone whom you will send email letters.
- At first, you need to open another tab in the browser and go to the website of Google: https://google.com/.
- Next, click on the “Sign in” button, located in the right-upper corner.
- Enter your password in the given field on the next page. Click on “Next.”
- Now, you need to click on the “Gmail” text button (it is placed at the top) and access your Gmail inbox.
- After accessing the inbox, you must click on the “Settings” button, located in the right part of the page.
- In a dropdown menu, you should select “Settings” again.
- After accessing the page of your Gmail account, you should scroll it down.
- Almost at the bottom of that page, you will see the “Signature” section. Now, check the box near “Signature” and start setting up a signature for your account.
- Once your signature is ready, you should scroll that page down and click on the “Save Changes” button at the bottom.
- After that, the signature will be applied to your Gmail account.
Questions and AnswersQ: Should I necessarily link my Gmail account to another email address or phone number?
No, Google allows you to leave it completely unsecured. However, we highly recommend you to have at least one recovery method available. Otherwise, you risk losing your Gmail account.
Q: How can I sign up for Gmail without signing up for other services of Google?
Unfortunately, there is no way how you can do it. All the services of Google are linked between each other, and your account can be used for other Google services as well (such as YouTube, Google Photos, Google Drive, etc.). Moreover, available storage is shared between all these services.
Q: Can I create a second account with Gmail?
Yes, there is no strict prohibition for users to have two or more accounts with Gmail. Moreover, you can link both accounts to the same phone number or reserve email address.