TPC Steve Brewer - Reduce Individual Carbon Footprint
All of us have a responsibility to reduce the individual carbon footprint, and nowadays there are plenty of ways to do that. TPC Steven Brewer, an its energy advisor, encourage everyone to think about their lifestyle decisions and find or create opportunities to reduce their climate impact.
How you live your life can significantly affect the carbon emissions, and by making the right lifestyle decisions, you can actually reduce your carbon footprint. Here are some tips offered by the chief energy consultant at The Power Company, Steven Brewer, on where you can start.
Reducing the carbon footprint of your car is a good way to start. Recent studies show that up to 30% of the difference in miles per gallon is in fact a result of your driving habits alone. That means you could save more than a ton of CO2 emission per year, by simply changing some of your driving habits. Things like driving within the speed limit, keeping your car tuned up and running efficiently, investing in proper maintenance, replacing your oil and fuel filters according to schedule, keeping your tires properly inflated, and a few others, can make a real difference when it comes to reducing carbon footprint. You can even go that extra mile and make your next vehicle a fuel-efficient one.
Another tip provided by Steve Brewer in this video is to reduce the carbon footprint of your travel. Most of our emissions come from simply being inefficient or not thinking through our daily decisions. Once you start thinking about how you could reduce the miles you drive, pretty soon you’ll start coming up with lots of new opportunities.
One way to save on money and reduce emissions while traveling is to combine your trip with another. Carpool is also a nice option as well. Sharing a ride with a friend, just once a week can save you up to 20%. Also you can rent a bike and stay fit while saving and reducing carbon emissions at the same time. For some trips taking the train could be a good choice.
In addition, according to energy specialist at The Power Company, Steven Brewer, you can reduce the carbon footprint at your home by installing a programmable thermostat. This will costs you less than $50 and will save you that much or more in the first year alone. Compact fluorescent light bulbs save more than 2/3rds of the energy compared with a regular emitting light. Each bulb can save you $40 or more over its lifetime. Also, make sure you keep your heating and cooling system tuned. When the time comes to replace it, do your research and ask for a system that is energy star labeled. Regarding you home appliances always pay attention to the total lifetime cost, including energy, rather than just looking at the price tag. Purchasing home appliances that have the energy star label can make a real difference. Weather-stripping, caulking and insulation all together can save you energy, improve the comfort of your home, make it quieter and help you save money.
Around 40% of the average Americans’ carbon footprint is in fact due to their direct energy use. The remaining 60% is indirect, which means that it comes from everything we buy and use, such as goods and services. If you’re determined to reduce your individual carbon footprint, all you have to do is start paying attention to your consumption and waste habits, and the opportunities to conserve will present themselves. Reduce, reuse and recycle can also get you far with your plan.