Primero was one of the few mining camps to have a Y.M.C.A. The building was completed in 1902, and started life as the town saloon when it was opened on May 20, 1902. When Primero became a dry town free of alcohol, the saloon was closed and the building was taken over by the Y.M.C.A. The Y.M.C.A. replaced the saloon as the social center of town and featured pool tables, cards, and soda fountains among other amenities. The building underwent two expansions, and was utilized by the schools as the gym. The building was also used to hold patients during the Spanish flu epidemic in 1919.
Begin this path: Primero Y.M.C.A.