The Primero Catholic Church in 1916 and 1917
Articles in the Industrial Bulletin in both 1916 and 1917 discuss the establishment of the Catholic Church at Primero. The building that housed the Catholic Church was built by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, and for a number of years housed both the Catholic and Protestant denominations. In 1916 plans for a new Protestant Church at Primero were drawn up and funding was procured from several sources including Mr. Rockefeller and individual contributions as well as a substantial contribution made by the Catholic Church. Upon completion of the Protestant Church exclusive use of the original church was turned over to the Catholic denomination. The dedication ceremony took place on November 19, 1916 with Father August Forster presiding. According to the Bulletin the event was a notable occasion in Las Animas County as a number of individuals from other camps, Trinidad and representatives from the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company attended. As part of the ceremony the first communion was administered to a class of twenty-six children ranging in age form seven to ten years old.
The Bishop of Colorado Visited the Mining Towns in 1921
In a news update in the Industrial bulletin the Catholic Church is mentioned as it was visited by J. Henry Tihen the Catholic Bishop of Colorado. While at Primero he stayed with Superintendent F. T. Baker and confirmed seventeen children.