A History of Lucasville Ohio: A Digital GalleryMain MenuThe History of Lucasville, Ohio : A Virtual ExhibitThe History of Lucasville, OhioThe Lucasville Historical SocietyBehind the Scenes of the CollectionThe CollectionA brief history and visual representation of Lucasville's history.Resources and Useful WebpagesThe Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb
12019-04-16T22:35:18-07:00The Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb334051Image of gravestones at Flatwoods Cemetery.plain2019-04-16T22:35:18-07:00The Ohio Field School - Center for Folklore Studies OSU d3215a55d81ccd40ca769f59020e951bf05ec0cb
This page is referenced by:
1media/Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 6.33.28 PM.png2019-04-08T20:10:36-07:00Lucasville Cemeteries6A gallery of images of Lucasville Cemeteriesplain2019-04-20T15:46:46-07:00The Lucasville Cemetery is a rich repository of local history in the Lucasville area and is accredited with being one of the oldest cemeteries in Southern Ohio. It was initially the Lucas family burial ground, with the first recorded burial being Susannah Lucas in 1809. In 1816, the area was converted into a public burial space and has interred veterans ranging from the Revolutionary War to the Vietnam War. John Lucas, who founded Lucasville in 1819, is also interred in the cemetery.
The Dever Historical Cemetery is another significant cemetery in Lucasville, born out of the Morgan family burial ground. Captain Thomas Morgan was born in 1784 in Virginia and in 1806, moved to Portsmouth, becoming the first person to establish a wheelwright trade in the Portsmouth area. He then served in the Ohio Militia as the Commander of the Second Regiment of the Ohio Volunteers Company. After his death in 1846, his 23-acre estate was divided and sold, except for the one-acre containing the Morgan burial ground.