- What role did art and culture play in forming Germany’s national identity in the 19th century?
- How did artists and their publics respond to modernization in the late 19th century?
- In what ways did race, class, and social issues influence both traditional (academic) and non-traditional (experimental) artworks?
20% of final grade; due Tuesday, August 2 at the beginning of class
All readings, including optional texts, are available for download on each session page.
Tuesday, July 26
Thursday, July 28
- Session 2A: Art and the Nation
- Session 2B: Writing Workshop with special guest, Ari Feld (Writing Instructor and Spanish Language Interpreter)