Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana ArchivesMain MenuIntroduction to the CollectionBishops of the Diocese of IndianaBishops of the Diocese of Northern IndianaParishes and MissionsConventionsOrdinations and PostulantsCamps and YouthEcumenical ServicesDiocesan Officers and GovernanceWomen's Auxiliary - Episcopal Church WomenMiscellaneousJohn David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252
St. Elizabeth Church, Auburn
12019-09-16T06:56:29-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252327165plain2022-08-11T11:19:35-07:00John David Beatty85388be94808daa88b6f1a0c89beb70cd0fac252The Diocese of Northern Indiana has made three attempts to establish a church in DeKalb County. After Emmanuel Church in Garrett, the second occurred in 1916, when the Rev. Hobart L. Marvin of Garrett and George Arnold, a lay reader, attempted to form a congregation in the county seat of Auburn. In October 1916, Bishop White placed Marvin as priest-in-charge of the mission, called St. Elizabeth's. The effort floundered, however, and in 1920 the mission was reorganized under Duncan Weeks of Goshen. His efforts also failed, and the project was abandoned. No attempt has been made to found a church in Auburn since that time. Churches were also attempted in Garrett and Butler, but both were short-lived.