This page is referenced by:
#8: FAKE! by DOVEMAN+TOM KALIN+CRAIG PAULL
February 19, 2017
To see a poetic response to this hardtruth:What is Beauty
To disrupt the new President’s First 100 days by posting #100truths-#fakenews committed to digital media literacy
On February 18, 2017, I wrote this post on my blog, Media Praxis:
Shortly after November’s tumultuous election, I wrote an article for JStor Daily, “Four Hard Truths About Fake News.” It began with a preamble that actually had three more truths embedded and then quickly followed with four more: “the real internet is a fake, the fake news is very real, and thus Trump is indeed our rightful internet president.”
- Today’s internet is built on, with, and through an unruly sea of lies, deceptions, and distortions, as well as a few certainties, cables, and algorithms.
- This week’s viral-wonder—the crisis of “fake news” in the wake of the 2016 presidential election—is a logical and necessary outgrowth of the web’s sordid infrastructure, prurient daily pleasures, and neoliberal political economy.
- Today’s saccharine hand-wringing and the too-late fixes erupting from the mouthpieces for the corporate, media, and political interests responsible for this mess are as bogus as Lonelygirl15.
- Today’s media consumer cannot trust the internet, its news, or networks—fake or otherwise. Given the wretched state of today’s internet, skeptical, self-aware interaction with digital data is the critical foundation upon which democracy may be maintained.
Only 93 more to go to meet my vow …
I hereby pledge:
- To disrupt the new President’s First 100 days by posting #100truths-fakenews with linked actions, analyses and organizations committed to digital media literacy.
- In so doing, I will produce a 100 point digital primer to counter the purposeful confusion, lack of trust, and disorientation of the current administration’s relation to media, offering instead a steady, reasoned set of resources seeking clarity and justice.
Let me begin by here offering #100truths-fakenews #8: FAKE! by DOVEMAN + TOM KALIN + CRAIG PAULL, January 22, 2017, one of several video projects these activist-artists are making to counter the administration’s wile media moves.
Yes, producing 100 points by Day 100, April 29, 2017, seems a little daunting, but I will be counting on my reasoned, practiced, committed, talented colleagues, across the media spectrum, to ease the burden (just see above!). While this administration may seek to addle us with media misinformation, disruption, and lunacy, I put full trust in our clear-headed community of conscience. Please do share possible contributions—in the form of writings, links, images, or actions—to the #100truths-fakenews primer via email, comments on this blog, or on my twitter feed, where I’ll be building a paired-down version of the project @mediapraxisme. The full-version will build here over the next 70 days.
What is Beauty
Is it how long my lashes are?
Or is it the length of my natural hair?
Is it the price of my wig?
Or is it determined by the curl on my hair?
What is beauty?
Beauty is what I want it to be
I can choose if I wanna be u g l y or p r e t t y
Because my b e a u t y is chosen by me
It is not for you
Nor is it for the man across the street
My make up is for me because I like it
My jeans are for me
My ass is for me
My body is with me thus it is for Me
Y o u should not be worried b a b y
Because my beauty is my beauty
I will not be scared
I will not be objectified
I will not let you walk on me
Because I am beauty
And b e a u t y is me
By Chloe Lubin
This poem is a response to hardtruth #8:FAKE!