To view and access timestamps for each clip, click on "Annotations" below each audio player. To collapse the annotations for a clip, click on "Description."
To see where, in this exhibit, a given audio clip appears, click on "Citations."
Lawrence Lipton, the Beat Generation in Venice West, and the Lawrence Lipton papers at USC.
Lipton and the Beat Generation Poets
Lipton’s interviews with or about Beat poets, featuring Stuart Perkoff, Kenneth Rexroth, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and others.
Lipton and Venice
The Venice West Picture Essay, the Gas House, and the history of Venice.
Lipton and Jazz
Jazz Canto, Langston Hughes, and Lipton’s recordings of poetry jazz sessions.
This page has paths:
This page references:
- Tape 108: Stuart Z. Perkoff reading "Blues for Billy Holiday" (0:14) [...]
- Tape 158, Side 1, Part A: Lawrence Lipton introducing poems read at Venice West: "How to listen to a poem" (1:15) written and read by Lawrence Lipton […]
- Tape 154, Side 1, Part 1: Collection of 16 television and radio news broadcasts regarding the LA Police Board of Commissioners hearing to determine whether the Gas House would be granted an entertainment license, 1959 August […]
- Tape 434, Side 1: Venice history interview with Lawrence Lipton and Nellie Loeb, 1962 November 30
- Tape 397: Jazz Canto, vol. 1, side 1, 1958
- Tape 106, Side 1, Part A: Lawrence Lipton interviews Stuart Z. Perkoff on his development as a poet from "The Venice poems" to his current state […]
- Tape 185, Side 1: Langston Hughes and Lawrence Lipton read their poetry at Lipton's home, Venice, California, 1958 April 13
- Tape 132, Side 2, Part B: Kenneth Rexroth speaking on books, 1955, KPFK radio re: Gary Snyder (poet), Phillip Whalen (poet), Lawrence Ferlinghetti (poet), Michael McClure (poet), American journalism debauching literature and poetry [...]
- Tape 396, Side 1, Part A: Kenneth Rexroth in a live performance, January 1957-1958, reading poetry (all with music) [...]
- Tape 188: Buddy Collette; Poetry jazz session, 1957 July 31
- Tape 470, Side 1: Lawrence Lipton speaking with Herbert Gold (writer) on literary movements, the beat movement, Allen Ginsberg (poet) [...]
- Tape 397: Jazz Canto, vol. 1, side 2, 1958