The Coconut Grove Playhouse
The Coconut Grove Playhouse opened January 3, 1956 with the U.S. premiere of Beckett's Waiting for Godot. It was built as a movie theater in the 1920s and called the Player's State Theater. In 1955 oilman George Engle bought the building for $200,000 and spent over $700,000 in the renovations necessary to transform the movie theater into a playhouse. FN
It was remodeled in the 1990s with two separate stages, the Mainstage Theater (with a proscenium stage that seats 1700) and the Encore Room Theater with 100 seats. It closed in 2006 due to financial difficulties.
Begin this path: The Coconut Grove Playhouse
|Previous page on path||The 1950s, page 3 of 4||Next page on path|